The first brick house constructed in this part of the township was built and occupied by Andrew and Mary Oaks Cook, relatives of Wauconda founder, Justus Bangs. The original floor plan was a single story farmhouse consisting of a kitchen, living room, parlor, and one bedroom. The Cook house still stands, 165 years later, renovated, and is currently the home of the Wauconda Township Historical Society, open to the public according to appointment or schedule.
Although the Cook House has been extensively remodeled in the intervening years, the original structure is still standing. Today it is operated as a museum by the Wauconda Township Historical Society. Other parts of the original Cook property include what is now Homer Cook Park (home of the Wauconda Park District), and the lands occupied by Wauconda High School and the Wauconda Area Public Library.
A Look Into the Past at the Cook House
Antique Square Grand Piano
Knabe, Gaehle & Company- Baltimore
Manufactured between 1852 and 1855
donated by Jeff Carlisle of the Carlisle and Lewis Families
We are proud and excited to be able to share with our visitors this new aquisition, generously donated in February, by the Carlisle and Lewis Families. It had been in their family for well over 100 years and is believed to have been transported into the Shenandoah Valley from Baltimore by wagon train.